Saturday, January 2, 2016

Recipe: An Accidental Vegetarian Budget Tacos!

Have you ever had amazing food that you didn't know you would actually like? Welcome to my world of Food. This past weekend I was lucky to venture to this place for a sampling of their fine tacos, one of which was a vegetarian option on the menu. I have been to quite a fair share of vegetarian spots and are always willing to try something new to me out. Well, let's just say after my meal, I was hooked. Soy crumbles with spices and seasoning was just too perfect. So, after one of my vegetarian friends pointed out that I could make them at home with his vegetarian "meat", I figured I would make my own to see how they stood up.

As simple as tacos can be, this one is just as so. You will only need a few ingredients.
  • Soy Crumbles ( I used BOCA brand- as they were what was recommended to me)
  • Tortillas/Taco Shells (I have to eat gluten-free so I choose corn tortillas)
  • Taco Seasoning (I use McCormick's Perfect Pinch Mexican)
  • Toppings (I prefer a lower cal option so I opted for Romaine Lettuce and Tostitos Salsa)
Here is what I did:
  1. Soy Crumbles come frozen, and already pre-cooked. All you need to do is heat up your desired amount (i used 1/2C for two tacos since I like mine pretty full) in a skillet. This only takes about 5-7 minutes just for the crumbles to thaw and warm. Add a pinch of olive oil so the crumbles will not stick.
  2. While the crumbles are cooking, chop your romaine lettuce.
  3. Since the oven has already preheated early (350 degrees) simply place the tortilla shells on the oven and allow them to hang for taco-shape. This will only take about 3-5 minutes so you will want to do this last.
  4. Before removing the crumbles, add taco seasoning to pan. Remove from heat and stir.
  5. Remove taco shells from oven and place on plate. Fill tacos with crumbles and toppings of choice. Serve warm!
As easy as it was to cook those crumbles, I was simply amazed. Now, as apprehensive as most people are of soy products, I find this a great replacement for beef. This would be great in spaghetti, tacos (like seen here) or any other dish where you could subsitute ground beef. Just keep the crumbles well seasoned and you will not taste the difference. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment