Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Recipe: Fermenting Foods - Daikon & Carrots

I love Daikon- it is truly one of my favorite korean foods. Often used a side appetizer for spicy dishes, it is one of my favorite ways of eating radish. While daikon itself has TONS of health benefits, it is absolutely one of the easiest things you can ferment. While I am quite new at fermenting (or pickeling) my favorite foods, I really wanted to make this dish. It is absolutely one of my favorite things to eat and tends to help my digestive issues.

Fermenting Daikon is fairly easy, however, finding it is the true trick. I found my Daikon at a local Asian market. Look for a firm, white (potato-like) long vegetable. You want something fairly easy to peel- so look for ones that are less curvy and twisted. I like mine with carrots so i often try to find good organic carrots to pair with it as it seems to be a very cohesive dish together. The recipe is fairly easy and does not take a lot of time to create. And, if you get a large enough Daikon, you can make quite a large batch that will last you awhile.

Recipe:
1 Large Daikon (1/2 pound at least for this recipe)- cubed
1/2 lbs Carrot (i purchased this bag since my store was low on carrots)
1C Warm Water
2 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tsp Salt
1/4C Distilled Vinegar

To Do:
  1. Mix Water, Sugar, Salt and Vinegar until sugar and salt dissolves.
  2. Place the carrots and daikon in a large metal bowl. Pour liquid mixture on top of vegetable mixture, stirring well to combine.
  3. Allow mixture to settle for about an hour. Store in fridge for up to a week.
Note: If you decide to go the mason jar route, as i did, sterilize them beforehand. As long as there is a good seal, and the jars are sterilized, you can keep the mixture fresh for months. 



No comments:

Post a Comment