Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Whole30 Program

If you are not familiar with the Whole30 Program, you can find out more about it here. I decided after speaking with my doctor, this is something I believe might be a helpful start to my reaching my health goals. So, after a lot of thinking about such a drastic life change and researching a lot more on the Whole30 program, I am starting just after my birthday.
Before - 11/23 - 139 lbs.
I know the next couple of weeks are going to not be ideal in starting (hello Thanksgiving). But, there is no better time than now to do something life-changing. After having such a monumental birthday I had a sort of epiphany and realized it was time for a change: I am not happy being unhealthy. While I have been healthy in the past, as I have started getting older, I realized I have created some habits I am not proud of. I realized eating healthy is only part of my problem. So, I want to take you all on this journey with me. This is not as easy as one would think. I have admitted for years I have an addiction to sugar. I want that to change. I am taking you on this journey with me since I feel sugar is the real enemy.  But, sugar is only part of the problem. Hitting the reset button is only going to start a domino-effect of change. The Whole30 Program is a life choice, and something I feel would benefit me.

The Whole30 program is not easy. It is not just a "diet"; it is a lifestyle change. Here are the list of No-No's:
  • No Sugar at all of any kind (real or artificial)
  • No Alcohol
  • No Grains
  • No Legumes
  • No Dairy
  • No MSG, Sulfites, or Carrageenan
  • No re-creating recipes with "approved ingredients"
  • No stepping on the scale
It is noted that if you "cheat" and eat any of the no-no's, you will have to start over. So, if you are really dedicated to doing Whole30, just realize after 90 meals you can have them if you want. If temptation is in your house, move those items out of your reach or place them where other family members will get them first. As I like to say "out of sight, out of mind".  I believe the hardest part of this whole process (which will be the true challenge) for me will be during the holiday's, where temptation is highest.
While Whole30 does not specify hitting the gym as a necessity, I feel it is essential to my overall health to do so in addition to these dietary changes. The great thing about needing to get physically fit is that you really do not need an actual gym to do so. YouTube has provided you with a free opportunity to have a fitness instructor in your own home. I personally like the PopSugar Fitness channel and would recommend them, as I enjoy those videos myself. 

The other part of staring Whole30 is the books, which will guide you through your experience. You are supposed to start with this book and then use this book for recipes and additional guidebook. While this purchase is completely up to you, It may be a necessity if you want to flag certain items of interest. 
So, time to get started. If you have any questions about the program, and you want to pursue this after consulting your doctor, Whole30 does have a blog for support and other questions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment