Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Recipe: Homemade Pasta Sauce

I love fresh pasta sauce. I find it tastes so much better than the store bought. So, after spending a weekend with an Italian family, it was a no brainer to get their 'recipe' and make my own. After all, they know their sauces! I found this sauce can be made in advance and can be paired with many dishes, not just the ravioli I used it for. And, I love that by making so much, you can really make multiple meals with it. It can go far.

Here is what you will need:
How-To:
  1. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown garlic in EVOO. 
  2. Add chopped tomatoes and allow tomatoes to break down - after about 5-10 minutes, the mixture should begin to thicken. Once thickened, add bay leaves and red pepper flakes. Cook an additional two minutes.
  3. Add the entire can of tomatoes to the mixture, along with salt and pepper to taste, and allow tomatoes to break down. Using your spatula, begin to "chop" the tomatoes as they begin to cook down, continually stirring the mixture until tomatoes are broken down and sauce beings to thicken, about 20 minutes.
  4. Allow sauce to cool. Remove bay leaves and store in sterilized mason jars or serve with pasta (I used ravioli).

No comments:

Post a Comment