Thursday, April 14, 2016

Recipe: The Best Pot Roast I Ever Made

I admit it. I made the best Pot Roast ever! Honestly, I do not believe it had as much to do with me as the amazing meat I picked up at my local farmer's market. Seriously, support those guys and gals! They work hard and by supporting local businesses, you are supporting your area! It just makes sense.
My beef for this pot roast came from a local farm called PolyFace Farms- I am sure by now most of you are aware of the owner/farmer Joel Salatin (he is from the documentaries Farmageddon as well as Food Inc.) and his farm is 100% organic and humane in raising, cows, chickens and pigs. His farm provides such amazingly tasteful meat. If you have the opportunity to get any meat from his farm, do so!
Okay. Onto the pot roast. Now that you have the best possible meat (I choose chuck roast), you need a few other root vegetables and herbs to get you started. This can be made in the dutch oven easily the same way (total cooking time 4 hours) - however, I made mine in the crock pot since I was leaving for the office!
Ingredients: 
3 C Beef Stock
1 3-5lb Chuck Roast
1 Onion - cut and halved
4 Whole Carrots - cut into 2 inch pieces
4 Stalks Celery- cut into 2 inch pieces
1 C Red Wine (I used Arrowhead Pinot Noir)
3 Medium Potatoes - cut and halved
1 Tbsp Butter
1 Tbsp Dried Shallot
1 Tbsp Fine Herbs
1 Tbsp Garlic
1 Tbsp Sweet Paprika

Rub Roast with salt and pepper. Add all ingredients to crock pot (except onion, carrots, potatoes and celery) and set on High for 2 hours. Reduce to low for 2 hours. Add in onions, carrots, potatoes and celery and continue cooking on low for 3-4 hours, or until meat pulls apart with fork.

Serve & Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment