Thursday, April 7, 2016

Recipe: Homemade Indian Inspired Butter Chicken

I am a foodie at heart. I mean I love food with soul, a dish that tells a story. And, I think each one has its own unique tale. Each spice represents a character of the story and with each addition of an ingredient, the plot thickens. When a dish has a soul, it just seems to transport you to another place. And, for me, that is always a dish made at home.

We had gone out a few weeks ago to a new Indian restaurant and I just fell in love all over again with Indian fare. I love the spices, the simple ingredients, and just the overall view on using spices to make a simple ingredient become BOLD by a different blend of spices! It is exciting to go out of your comfort zone and try new things. I had a sensation dish of Butter Chicken. And, I wanted to recreate it at home- and I did! So, this is my story for you of the time I rediscovered an old favorite dish.

Butter Chicken (Serves 2-4)
  • 1 package of Chicken Breast Tenders, cut into cubes
  • 1/2 C purple onion, chopped
  • 1/4 C Cilantro, chopped finely
  • 3 Garlic Cloves, chopped 
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
  • 1 C Diced Tomatoes (canned is fine if you are pinched on time)
  • 1/3 C Plain Yogurt
  • 1/2 C Heavy Cream
  • 1/2 Tbsp Butter
  • 1 Tsp Cumin
  • 1 Tbsp Turmeric
  • 1 Tsp Paprika
  • 1 Tbsp Ginger
  • 1 Tsp Garam Masala (you can make your own and store it)
  • 1 Tsp Pepper
  • 1 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Tbsp Honey
  • 1/4 C Almonds (optional)
Combine all ingredients (except diced tomatoes and almonds) into bowl and stir well to combine all ingredients. Coat chicken well and set in refrigerator for 2-3 hours (no more than 5 hours). 

Remove from refrigerator and place in skillet and heat to medium (light boil) for about 10 minutes. Add in diced tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer for additional 10 minutes.

Serve with a side of Basmati Rice and garnish with sliced almonds with a side of garlic naan. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment