Thursday, October 27, 2016

DIY Project: Homemade Body Wash

Homemade Body Wash!
I actually did two versions: the no-grate and the semi-grate version to see which one I preferred. I did try one for frog legs and one for myself...and for the semi-grate version, I did not purchase the glycerin (it did not make a difference in the finished product).

NO-GRATE: 3 Bars of Soap, 6 Cups water
For the no-grate version, I chose to do Irish Spring, since I had some spare bars. I wanted to see if it would make a great body wash. I am not a big of soap bars over body wash and I really am not a fan of this soap anyway, so I figured why not give it a go.
Irish Spring Soap
**This part you must watch closely** You are going to take the bars of soap and microwave them, until they melt. 
Ready to nuke 'em
While they soap is in the microwave, you are going to need to get a large pot, and slowly boil the 6 cups of water. 
Once the bars have melted, you are okay to place them in the boiling water.
Ready!
Once the soap is mixed with the water, ensure that you continue to stir until the "melted" soap is fully dissolved in with the water. **You do not want the water to boil too much, or you will lose too much water for the body wash. If you do, just slowly add water in 1 cup at a time until you get a body wash consistency**
 
Making Soap
Once the soap is fully dissolved, you are ready to place it in the storage container. **It should be cooled down enough for pouring.** Ensure the container you will place the liquid in can handle the slight heat from the mixture. 
Dissolved!
Semi-Grate: 3 bars of soap & 6 cups of water
**I found the semi-grate to be a better overall dissolvable mixture, and it did take less time. However, it does provide a larger mess!
For my body wash, and the semi-grate version, I chose Oil of Olay, since my skin needs a lot more moisturizing than frog legs does. 
3 bars of Oil of Olay soap
You will need to grate the soap to a fine consistency, to ensure it will dissolve quickly. I use the same side that I would for nutmeg or laundry detergent, as it works great.  
Fine powder-like mix
Once done, you will need a large saucepan and start boiling the water. I did one bar at a time, but it went quickly. 
Hot water...
Add the soap and still until dissolved. This should not take nearly as long as the other version did.
Cooking soap
And, once it looks like a milky liquid, you are ready to pour into your container. Again, ensure your container can handle a slightly warm liquid. 

And, that is how you make at-home body wash!

No comments:

Post a Comment