Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Another Round of Whole30

If you have been following me for awhile, you already know last November post-birthday, I made the decision to go on Whole30. It was a big change to my lifestyle and after the 30 days were up, I realized it had forever changed me. To date, I still cannot eat nearly the amount of sweet foods as I used to and I could tell with the mental changes it was a change that was for the better. I have made the decision to go back and do it again. And, I am taking you with me on my journey again. I am excited to be able to share with you my journey this next go round.
Last time, I wrote about my tips for grocery shopping for Whole30, a task that does greatly help you prepare for the journey and what you will need to stay on task. I took the time this past week to do all of that same shopping again. And, after a few stops to the local stores for a lot of great organic produce and products, I am ready to go. 
I have to say my biggest realization last time I went through Whole30, and my biggest tip for you, is to meal prep beforehand. I cannot emphasize how much this will help you during the "stress" of having to figure out dinner. When you have a list of meals planned, and prepped, it makes the process that much easier. I made sure to cut up sweet potatoes, divide up portions for steaks, and prepare my sauces/snacks before starting to ensure I had everything easily ready and "pre-made" for those days and moments when I really was not going to be in the mood to cook or spend a great deal of time cooking. Overall, my 30 days was a relatively smooth one.
Like last time, I realize 30 days is only the beginning. The post-30 day reintroduction of the "NO" list back into your daily life is one that is of choice. I never reintroduced soy back into my diet after realizing what a problematic item it was for me personally. Also, I continued to keep my sugar intake quite low and kept my grains to a minimum. Whole30 taught me what easily triggered foggy brain, lethargy, and discomfort. Unlike last time, I am planning on getting more exercise in than last time. With my FitBit, I will be tracking my eating, sleeping, and activity as well.
So, for the next 30 days, I will be without the following items: Sugar, Dairy, Grains, Legumes/Peanuts, MSG/Sulfites/Preservatives, and Alcohol. Additionally, I am not allowed to weigh myself for the next 30 days. The whole point of Whole30 is not to worry about weight; it is about feeling better. Whole30 is not a cleanse. However, it will teach you what 'trigger' foods you may have and what foods may bother your system/digestive track. It allows you to have better control of what you take in, as you are now responsible for reading every label to ensure the items removed are not ingested during the 30 days. It is about being cognizant of what is in your food and being in control of what you eat. It aids you in portion control, but still allows you to be full and content. You will not be hungry, but there will be a time of 'withdrawal', where your body is adjusting to the items that are removed. And, overall, it does not allow you to start eating the "No" list on the 31st day; those items will be reintroduced once item at a time, so as to not throw off your system.
So, join me on my second Whole30 journey as I navigate through and see if it is something you might be interested in doing with me. And, if you have any recipes to share, I would love to hear from you. Whole30 is all about expanding your horizons, and being open to new things is what it is all about. A new way to try squash, sign me up. If you would like to see my full Whole30 journey the first go round, click here to see how it went the first time. Also, if you are looking for my famous Date Ball recipe, look no further than right here!


No comments:

Post a Comment