William Byrd, named the hill Belvidere (or "beautiful view") as it overlooked the James River as well as Shockoe and Church Hill. Its name refers to the quip that employees moving there to be closer to their workplace might as well be moving westward to Oregon.
|William Byrd II|
demolished in 1991). One of the most famous model home of the Town of Sydney, is the Jacob House, and owned by John Jacob, who is considered to be one of the first residents of Oregon Hill.
Tredegar Iron Works and Albemarle Paper Company were built, they became major employers in the 1850's. Most of the workers who were employed by these companies resided in the nearby neigbborood of Oregon Hill. During the reconstruction post- Civil War, where most office buildings were replaced with single-family homes we see today. The land where Riverside Park stands today was acquired by the state in 1869. Oregon Hill went through many transformations as the factory jobs dwindled. Today, the historically working-class neighborhood is now home to a mix of old and new; it includes an eclectic mix of locals, artists, musician and students who attend VCU.