Friday, September 2, 2016

Making the Switch: Moving to Organic Products

Since my mid-20's, I have looked at healthier options for my skin and body. I find health to be a long-term investment and the sooner you start, the better off you are.

I feel I have finally come to the point I can fully divulge into my system of organic care. And, it is my hope that by sharing this with you, someone may find it just as beneficial as I have. Choosing products for your skin, your beauty, your body is a very personal thing. And, while these products are not for everyone, I feel they worked really well for me. And, since switching I feel I have benefitted from the change.
I have felt the products closest to the skin are the most important to keep as natural as possible. Sadly, the FDA does not have a standing definition for what is considered "Natural", so any company can place the word Natural on their product, without it even having ingredients that are good for your health. So, in lieu of this, I have gone to EWG in order to search for the best products I can for myself and my home. EWG is a non-profit organization to keep the consumer informed on products and other things we use and inform us on the best products to help the environment as well as ourselves. Their system, based on their strict guidelines, determines what products they approve of; everything from seafood, to produce, sunscreen products, and cosmetics. They are a great resource to get you started on purchasing clean products. All you have to do is go on their website and search for a product or brand you wish to know how "clean" it is and it will give you the full breakdown.
Feminine Products
Let's just start with the most personal topic, shall we? Breaks ice. In all seriousness, I feel the female body is capable of cleaning itself well on its own. And, I feel I do not need any perfumed products, like sanitary napkins and tampons to change the scent to something more "floral" and "ladylike". So, I have chosen options with organic cotton without dyes or perfumes. One of my favorites is by Seventh Generation tampons and pantyliners. Target always has them on sale. However, if you do not like Seventh Generation, there is also Honest Co., Veeda, and Organyc to name a few. If tampons and liners are not your thing, the Diva Cup is also a great alternative; I have personally tried the Diva Cup and did not like it.
Cosmetics
With the increase sensitivity to gluten and other additives to cosmetics, organic beauty products are becoming more popular. Celebrities like Miranda Kerr, Cameron Diaz, Jessica Alba, and Gwyneth Paltrow heavily support the organic lifestyle and only use organic products. And, as a result of this, there are many price points where you can obtain organic makeup without breaking the bank. W3llPeople and RMS Beauty are my two favorite organic cosmetic lines. Physicians Formula is also a great line that is budget-friendly - just watch as they have non-organic products as well.
Skincare
In the past year or so I have been a lot more diligent with my skincare routine, incorporating a lot of anti-aging remedies to help prevent aging issues like pigmentation, wrinkles and fine lines. One of my new regiments is the KORA Organics 3 step system for awhile now (I will have a blog post on my full review soon, so stay tuned). In addition to KORA, I also use 100% Pure eye cream, Caudalie Organic Grape water spray (makes a great facial mist), and when I want to do a mask or body scrub, i always use Organic Coconut Oil mixed in with my ingredients- it is super nourishing. I also love Tata Harper's face serum. And, above all I use SPF/sunscreen daily; my favorite is by COOLA. It smells heavenly.
Soaps/Deodorant/Hair Care/Oral Care
I admit this particular section was a bit of a hard habit to break. It truly is easier said than done. However, I think I have seen great success since my changes. First is Deodrant. We all need it and all have to have it but with aluminum in most deodorants (which leads to breast cancer), it was time for a switch. I have been using the Crystal deodorant with a lot of success. It was a big change from the Toms I was using, but I am happy to have made the change. I also like the Lavanila line as well- and i keep their minis in my gym bag. As far as body washes go, it was a bit rough at first to switch from a lotion-based product like Dove, but I have found I love the Body Shop's shower gel scents a lot better. As far as haircare goes, I have enjoyed Avalon Organics or 100% Pure for my shampoo and conditioner. Styling is pretty simple: I use Nexxus Phyto Organic Hair spray, Lulu Organics dry shampoo powder, and Parlor heat protecting spray. As far as toothpaste, I like Dr. Bronner's and The Natural Dentist mouthwash.
Supplements
Now, it is just as important to incorporate good organics into your body and you do on your body. As they say, you are what you eat. Garden of Life has been the favorite for quite some time now. I use their RAW probiotics daily as well as their Women's Daily. And, when I feel a cold coming on (which is quite rare for me), I start taking their Vitamin C.
House Cleaning Supplies
Now, of all things, I know many of you may not follow under this category and that is fine. However, I feel when I have a good, clean environment that is not full of chemicals and byproducts, I feel better about it. I found that when I was using plain old store bought products, the fumes would bother me intensely. It make it difficult to clean. And, I was not even thinking about my impact on the environment. (Side Note: I have made my own from Dr. Bronner's soaps - and I highly recommend it for money-saving. However, if you want to purchase some great products, I have some options for you.) For my all-purpose spray I use Seventh Generation and Method  specific cleaners for my toilet bowl, glass, floor and tub/tile. For my dishwasher, I use Seventh Generation tabs and Earth Friendly dishwasher rinse aid. When I do not run the dishwasher I use 3M Scotch-Brite Sponges and Caldrea dish soap. For detergent, I use Whole Foods 365 Laundry Detergent. (i do not buy fabric softener as I use a mix of hair conditioner- any one will do, just choose a scent you like- and white vinegar)
Well, there you have it. It is a long post but a lot of information. I hope I have helped in some way to help you choose better alternatives to some of your current products. While most of these in my eyes are "pure of heart", you may not like them and that is fine. I find most of these products can be made easily on your own- like cosmetics, skincare and home cleaners using Castile Soap- with just a simple google search. If you wish to do so, please share what you have made. I am always up to seeing what others have done. And, if you have some other great organic products, I would love to find out a great new product!

No comments:

Post a Comment